Search This Blog

Sunday 16 June 2013

Distant Dads


You know what it's like, a few months before a big day and Hallmark starts raking it in - 'Get this for your valentine' or 'are you ready for Fathers' day?' Is it just me or does it seem to get more intense every year?

Prompted by the ads, I asked myself if I was ready for fathers' day. I was convinced if I tackled it head on by keeping busy and avoiding too much time reading facebook daddy devotions, then I could get through the day no problem. I should have remembered that these kind of days mean emotions are unpredictable no matter what. And that's ok.

Whatever big day the card shops and TV ads are promoting, there will always be people for whom the celebration highlights painful memories, a sense of loss, or stirs resentment because of a broken relationship.

I am so grateful and honoured to have had a wonderful father. While I miss him like mad, today I had a tangible burden for those who have not experienced the qualities of a good father or have a relationship with a Dad figure.

I was saddened to read this week that by the end of childhood, a British child is much more likely to have a TV in their bedroom than a father in their home. The Centre of Social Justice report says that 50 per cent of 15-year-olds no longer live with both their parents, with a million UK children growing up without a father.

It is totally awesome, and of course right, to honour and give thanks for our loved ones on special occasions. At the same time let us be mindful of those who are emotionally delicate and also remember that we don't have to wait till the 'anointed' day to show our affection.

It's no surprise, that negative experiences with father figures can mean many find it extremely challenging to relate to God as their father. Jennie Pollock wrote this week on this subject saying: "It can be tempting, when dealing with such a sensitive issue, simply to veer around it. There is so much to discover about God, perhaps it would be easiest to just avoid mentions of His fatherhood and focus on other wonderful aspects of His character"

"The Fatherhood of God is not just an extra, but a core aspect of His identity. He is a father who is never distant, He is interested in your every achievement and concerned about your every hurt. He will never let you down."

Having a fresh revelation of my Father God's love makes me remember just what a life-changing impact knowing Him has. The God who made the universe desires such an intimate relationship with us. Wow.

Song words that I love: "Oh father of the fatherless, to whom all families are blessed, I love the way you father me. Before such love I stand amazed and ever will through all my days, I love the way you father me. Father me, forever you will father me and in your embrace I will be forever secure. I love the way you father me."

1 comment: